Sunday, October 6, 2013

Whats theory got to do with it?


This week we discussed different family theories. I know what your thinking...ugg theories, those annoying things that we all have to learn about each semester when all we really want to do is get into the real meat and potatoes of the school. I have found however through more explanation that these theories really are awesome. They explain some great family interactions. 

Systems Theory- the theory that most families have a type of system with each individual playing a specific role with accompanying rules.Its really not as technical as it seems. For example many families have the peacemaker in the home that kinda defuses the tension. We can also have the baby of the family who has a certain role that accompanies it. I think this is particularly valuable in that we can think about what roles am I playing? What rules does my family have?

Exchange theory- What I put into the relationship I want to get out of as well. Haha so this is a big one in my newly married life. For example just yesterday I cleaned an area and then I specifically left the light on in that area so that my husband would notice that I had cleaned. To my slight annoyance though he didn't notice so I just pointed it out, seeking the praise I felt I deserved. I think we all do this. Often however it becomes a problem when things are not always rewarding and then we think that we cant be in this relationship anymore. 

Conflict theory- This is a theory where the one that through conflict we try to gain the upper hand and change things in the family. I often was guilty of this one growing up. I would always try to gain control of the situation so I would receive less punishment that I probably really deserved. 

I think these theories are valuable in that they can hep us understand our family dynamic more, and make it a more peaceful and loving place to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment