Saturday, October 12, 2013

Diversity...really??






This week we have the topic of family diversity. We had the interesting discussion of whether all cultures are equally valid in producing happy and healthy families. In my opinion I feel like all cultures are not the best to create happy and healthy families. I would like to clarify here that when I say culture I do not mean race. I mean culture as in , "A system of shared beliefs, norms, behaviors, and expectations that persist over time, and prescribe social behavior and assumptions." For the sake of this blog post I will also define family purpose as the ability to produce healthy offspring. Healthy in all respects psycho, social, and biological development. I am going to take the stance that not all cultures are equally helpful in raising a family. I think we can all agree that the culture of a drug addict micro-society is unhealthy for children. Most of society believes this, that is why we have programs such as CPS in place. There is also a specific culture where adults will marry and are perfectly capable to have children, but choose not too. It is important to have an opinion, I think often we tend to have the opinion that all cultures are right. I think we need to learn and examine and find out for ourselves whether some environment are better than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment